Sunday, July 28, 2013

The End of the Start

"Come with me, where dreams are born and time is never planned. Just think of happy things and your heart will fly on wings forever, in Never Never Land."- J.M. Barrie 
I am currently sitting in my childhood backyard on a gorgeous California summer day reminiscing over the past couple months. (I apologize for my lack of updates- I was adjusting to the idea of being an actual adult.)  Since I last wrote, I have graduated with a bachelors degree in Business Administration and a degree in Political Science.

Graduation Day
Featured Fashion: Red Wedges

After graduation I drove across the country to spend the summer in California. We spent some time in Nashville, OKC, Santa Fe, and Las Vegas. I drove with my mom, and I must say it was a great trip and helped me transition from the college mindset to the "Holy Shit My Life is Starting" mindset.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Santa Fe, New Mexico

Las Vegas, Nevada

Overlook in Arizona

Arizona Border 
I have closed a four year chapter of my life. It is remarkable and terrifying to think that I am no longer a student; 18 years of scholastic pursuits have ended. While I know that I will never stop learning, my path is now completely unstructured and infinite in its possibilities. Next month I will move into an apartment across the country and start to work in marketing. Whenever you arrive at a big milestone in life I think it is important to take some time for introspection and reflection.  I'm a big believer in the idea that you cannot go forward without first understanding what proceeded.

As you may have noticed, the quote at the start of this post is a Peter Pan quote. The film, Finding Neverland, was just playing and completely engrossed me. For the first time in my life J.M. Barrie's story of a boy that refuses to grow up really resonated with me. Obviously I don't have a choice in terms of growing up. However, I do have a choice in how I will do that. I think the big takeaway from Mr. Barrie is the idea that despite the inevitability of growing up it is possible to retain the wonder, curiosity, and imagination of childhood. The weight of maturity, responsibility, and adulthood should be offset with dreams, magic, and the impossible.

So as I start the next stage of my life that is what I will be focusing on.

"Dreams do come true, if only we wish hard enough. You can have anything in life if you will sacrifice anything else for it". -J.M. Barrie

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, leave a comment!