Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Everything is Bigger in Texas

"Texas is a state of mind. Texas is an obsession. Above all, Texas is a nation in every sense of the word"- John Steinbeck
A few weeks ago, I flew over to Austin to spend the weekend with one of my best friends. Sarah and I grew up together, and both went to college out of state.  We also both ended up getting jobs out of our home state of California. We don't get to see each other all that often, so when she mentioned she had a day off, I jumped at the chance to spend a weekend together. We decided to meet in Austin.

I forgot how great it was to be around someone who knows me almost as well as I know myself. Sarah picked me up from the airport with my favorite pastry, and she didn't even bother asking me if I wanted to get a cab- she knew we were hoofing it.



We spent the first day wandering the city, trying to get our bearings. Austin is an awesome city. The river, graffiti parks, music, food, and drinks are all top notch.



We were told repeatedly to take advantage of Happy Hour in Austin, so Sarah and I made sure to get our fill of specialty cocktails at as many places as we could get to. 


We were on a mission to see the bats fly out from Congress bridge, so we made quick work of our drinks and went to go find a spot to watch the bats at sunset. 


We got lucky and didn't have to wait too long before the steady stream of bats started flying out of the bridge. This is a surreal experience- I have never seen that many bats in my life (which probably makes sense).

We headed for a night out on Rainey Street. Rainey was very cool and if I lived in Austin that would most certainly be my spot. I will say it may not be the best spot for just two people. Sarah and I felt like we would have had a better time if we were in a large group. 


The next day we got an early start and went hiking on a few different trails surrounding the Austin area. We grabbed lunch at The Oasis on Lake Travis. The food is mediocre but the views are top-notch.


We ended up at a brewery, and we spent the afternoon chatting and relaxing in the beautiful weather. We had been told that we wouldn't like the 'Dirty 6', but Sarah and I agreed we'd check it out on our final night. We had the best time. 6th Street is a total mess, but in the best possible way. The energy is infectious, and everyone was having so much fun.

We literally witnessed a giant lumber-sexual looking dude preform a legit 'magic mike' strip routine when a bridal party gave him $20 to show their friend a good time. Sarah and I couldn't stop laughing. It was amazing. I couldn't hang out on 6th Street every night, but every once in awhile, that is a great spot. 


As always, getting to see my best friends in amazing places is always a blessing, and Austin was no different. I would totally go back, and I can't wait to plan another weekend trip with Sarah!

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, leave a comment!