Tuesday, May 12, 2015

The Emerald Isle

"Ireland is where strange tales begin and happy endings are possible"- Charles Haughey
I'm going to preface this post with a disclaimer: TONS OF PHOTOS AHEAD. 

I decided to go on my first solo adventure and went to Ireland for a 5 day road trip through the west coast. It was amazing. I had the best time ever and would travel alone in a heartbeat. I think everyone should give it a go. I wrote a buzzfeed post about the things I learned on the trip, if you are interested, you can read it here.

Day One: Clifden, Connemara


Connemara is in the gaeltacht region of Ireland (meaning Irish is still spoken and well-known). This was the Ireland I had read about- wild horses, rainbows, abandoned castles, and the friendliest people on earth. I made a lot of friends (young and old) and learned a lot about the area during my brief stay. I would go back in a heartbeat.


Wild horses running in the hills of Ireland- I thought I was going to be trampled, but this guy was rather friendly and just wanted to hang out.



I have always wanted to touch a standing stone (probably because I am an Outlander fan and was hoping Jamie would appear). When I saw this one I hopped a fence and laid my hands on it. Sadly, I was not transported to another time, but it was still very cool.




Seriously, the Wild Atlantic Way is amazing. Rainbows and castles every which way. I was half expecting a friendly leprechaun to jump out at me.





Day Two: Connemara National Park & Galway

My next day started with a hike in the Connemara National Park. Oscar Wilde called this area the most beautiful part of the world. I must say- I kind of agree. I was totally alone on the trails and the colors and scenic vistas were staggering.


I spent three hours exploring the national park before getting back on the road and stopping at a few castles between Connemara and Galway.



I also bonded with a heard of cows… so that's something.


 I spent the afternoon and the evening in Galway. I went to a pub known for Trad music and had a few Guinness's with some locals. It was a perfect evening in Galway.

Day Three & Four: Castle Dromoland

I drove from Galway to the Cliffs of Moher. This is one tourist attraction that is totally worth the money and the crowds. They are staggering and it is insane to me how close to the edge you can get. There are no fences and what seems like endless stretches of cliffs.




I spent two nights in the incomparable Castle Dromoland. I also got a complimentary room upgrade which was just the icing on an already amazing cake. While staying there, I road horses, wandered the grounds, and indulged at the spa. It was a quick, but needed relaxing break during my vacation.


I also spent some time in the burren. This is the weirdest place ever, and very unique. I can't think of a way to describe it without using the world 'alien'.



Day Five: Kilkenny

I didn't take any pictures in Kilkenny except for one of my seafood chowder. I quite liked Kilkenny, but the weather was less than ideal while I was here and my jet lag started catching up with me so I didn't spend a ton of time touring the area.


Day Six, Seven,  Eight: Dublin

I drove back to Dublin and dropped off my rental car on St. Paddy's day. One of my good friends decided to fly out for the holiday, so I swung by the airport and met up with Emily. We headed into the city and got ready to go green for St. Patrick's Day in Temple Bar.




We spent three days roaming Dublin and having a very good time. It was the perfect way to end an amazing trip across the pond. I loved this holiday and I really want to come back to Ireland and spend some time in the Ring of Kerry, Dingle, and getting up to the North. It's a gorgeous country and I couldn't have asked for a better trip.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, leave a comment!