Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Guide to Edinburgh

"It is one of the most hauntingly beautiful places in the world, the history is fascinating, the men are handsome, and the whisky is delicious"- J.K. Rowling
A few weeks ago, one of my co-workers asked me if I had any recommendations since she was visiting Edinburgh for the first time in June. If you haven't noticed, I am a biggggg fan of Scotland. I've only been three times, but one of those visits lasted 3.5 months. I'm by no means an expert, but here are my favorite spots and sights that I've come across so far. 

Kate’s Official Guide to Edinburgh:
Nightlife:


Cowgate: This is more of the student-y area of town. The university is nearby and drinks are cheap. Things are a little grungier, but it’s a lot of fun. I lived on the cowgate, and there is always something to do. The Hive was my favorite spot.



Grassmarket: It is kind of part of the Cowgate, but the atmosphere is different. This used to be a medieval market (and it’s where they used to hang people-Edinburgh is known for having a really dark history) but it’s a really cool area of town. It’s a great place for the more typical British pub culture and there are some cool shops scattered around. Also in the summer, there is a lot of outdoor seating for eating and drinking. If you’re not looking to get too crazy, this is probably the spot for you.



George’s Street: This is just off Prince’s Street and is the more upscale area of town. Things are more expensive and fancier. Opal, Shanghai, and LuLu are the more classy-club places on George’s Street.

There are bars, clubs, and pubs pretty much everywhere, but the general rule of thumb is that drinks in the old town are cheaper. My personal favorite for a summer night is Three Sisters (the Cowgate) it has a ton of outdoor space. I also really like Brewdog (also the Cowgate, and I used to live above it). They brew all their own stuff and it’s pretty unique- really interesting IPAs.

Sites/Activities:
The Castle: You’ll see the fortress the second you get into town and you can go in and tour the grounds. It’s fairly large and very interesting. It is on the pricier side of things to do, but it’s pretty cool. They also shoot off cannons throughout the day.


The Royal Mile: The mile connects Holyrood Palace (the residence of the British royal family in Edinburgh) to the Edinburgh castle. It has a fun atmosphere, lots of shops and some cool history. John Knox’s house is on the mile, there are a lot of street performers, and a cool cathedral.


The Elephant House: If you are into Harry Potter, you have to stop here. This is where JK Rowling wrote the first book. They have great tea and baked goods and the view of the castle and greyfriars kirk is pretty spectacular.


Greyfriars Kirkyard & Greyfriars Bobby: Old cemetery bordering on the walls of the old town. It is very atmospheric. Also, JK Rowling got a lot of the names for Harry Potter from the cemetery so that is kind of cool.  You will also notice the small statue of the terrier outside of the Kirk- that is Greyfriars Bobby. After his master died, the dog visited his grave for years. It is considered good luck to rub his nose.


The Meadows: A large park in town. On nice days people are everywhere (grilling, playing games, day drinking). It’s a nice spot to walk through if you get sick of the city.

Calton Hill: This is my favorite spot in the city. It has a bunch of random unfinished monuments and it is one of the reasons Edinburgh is called the ‘Athens of the North’. The view is amazing- you can see the castle, the palace, Arthur’s Seat, the Scott Monument, the pentlands, the ocean, and both the old and new towns. It’s a quick walk to the top and it’s great.


Arthur's Seat: A really good hike in the city. It gets its name from the possibility that Camelot was at one time based there. Views are astonishing and it’s a pretty physical climb.


The National Scottish Museum: It is free (always good) and it has a ton of cool stuff inside. The building itself is really unique. Also, the view from the roof is incredible. A lot of people don’t know you can go up there, but you can and it’s great. I also hear the portrait gallery on Princes Street is really good, but I haven’t been there.


Royal Botanical Gardens: If you like gardens, this is a good one. It’s a little bit of a walk, so it wouldn’t be the first thing on my list, but if you have time, check it out! I believe it is also free.



Scotch Whisky Experience: Super touristy, but it’s fun. I wouldn’t do it if you are familiar with whisky or going to any distilleries. There is a ride that takes you through the stages of scotch making and you end up in a massive collection of scotch and get to taste a few.

I have also heard the Mary King’s Close tour is very cool. I have not done it, but I want to. It’s at night and takes you into the buildings underneath the city. (Edinburgh is a city built on a city so there’s a lot going on). Supposed to be kind of scary, but historically accurate.  Also friends have talked about ‘Dynamic Earth’ and Outlook Tower, but I haven’t done them.

Honestly, Edinburgh is the best city. You will find something there that takes your breath away.


The city is gorgeous, the people are wonderful, and the food is great. I can't say enough good things about Scotland and its amazing capital. I have so many more trips to make to Scotland before I'll even begin to feel like I really know it.



Alba gu BrĂ th!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you, leave a comment!